In 2016, the CSL served 47% of the campus community with a variety of our services. We encourage faculty to promote the use of our services including walk-in lab tutoring, by appointment tutoring, Supplemental Instruction, Peer Academic Coaching, Study Strategies Workshops, and more!
Below you will find some general language about the Center for Student Learning that I would like to encourage you to insert into your syllabi. We know that faculty play an integral role in student success and that students value your input and advice- so please take this opportunity to encourage their usage of our free services.
Center for Student Learning: I encourage you to utilize the Center for Student Learning’s (CSL) academic support services for assistance in study strategies, speaking & writing strategies, and course content. They offer tutoring, Supplemental Instruction, study strategy appointments, and workshops. Students of all abilities have become more successful using these programs throughout their academic career and the services are available to you at no additional cost. For more information regarding these services please visit the CSL website at http://csl.cofc.edu or call (843)953-5635.
We are eager to continue serving the campus community in supporting student success. On the Request a Workshop page (also accessable on the left column of this page) you can schedule one of our staff members to come to you and present a study strategy topic of your choice. Please note that we can tailor our workshops to meet your and your students' needs. Additionally, we can work with you to create a workshop that is the right fit for your course!
Our topics include, but are not limited to:
- Time and Task Management
- Learning Modalities
- The Studying Process
- Test Taking
- Communication and Speaking
- Writing (Literature Review and Motivation)
- Plan for Exams
- Reading and Critical Thinking
- Note Taking and Memory
Student Feedback on Workshops
- "The study strategies workshops at the college are impressive and very helpful. I try to go to as many as I can!"
- “My favorite part was the handouts - I can actually see what I can do about procrastination.”
- “It was a small group, so it felt more personal and everyone was able to share their own strategies.”
- “Gaining new strategies to approach studying and find out what works. When one strategy fails, there's always more.”
- “Situational examples helped to put where to send students into perspective.”
- “Gathering ideas and methods to motivate myself.”
- "This workshop was fantastic! I would recommend it to everyone!"